Posted on December 19, 2015
Write a review
- 1 pound farfalle or bowtie pasta
- 4 heads broccoli, flowerets cut into bite sized pieces, stems peeled and chopped
- 8 Tbsp butter or good olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup grated parmigiano reggiano or other hard cheese
- salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta until it is just al dente (a bit on the chewy side), drain and rinse with cold water to keep it from over cooking.
- Steam the broccoli stems and flowerets separately in about 2 ½ cups of water each. Reserve the cooked flowerets. Puree the broccoli stems in a blender or food processor with 8 tablespoons of butter or 8 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. You can throw in a dash of cayenne or use lots of pepper for a little kick. Set Aside.
- Sauté the onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil or butter, until caramelized, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Toss the broccoli puree with the cooked pasta, broccoli flowerets, caramelized onion and parmigiano reggiano or other hard cheese in a large pot and heat until hot (about 3 minutes) stirring so that the cheese doesn’t burn or stick to the pan.
- Great served with crusty rosemary bread and a tomato and arugula salad dressed with a little olive oil, sherry vinegar and salt and pepper.
Farmers Market Shopping List
- 4 heads Broccoli
- 1 Onion, white or yellow
- Olive Oil or butter
Studio City Farmers Market http://studiocityfarmersmarket.com/